Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Right, then...

Hi, my name is Michael, and I'm a lapsed academic.

(Hi, Michael!)

Maybe it's too much to call me lapsed.  Maybe I'm a failed academic.  I took the master's degree out of my program in Geography, and after a year as a professional geographer, I'm back in system administration, which is fairly intellectually unstimulating, but isn't too bad and pays the bills.

The internet is a terrible place for a bored mind.  I find myself spending hours scratching philosophical itches with suspect sources like Wikipedia and whatever blogs I can find.  Great for a moment of curiosity, but not terribly good for more in-depth thinking.

With that in mind, this is an experiment, to try to work through some philosophical texts, starting with a few canonical ones, and write responses to them.   I've had a few friends tell me via social media that they might be interested in joining me, so there may be other voices chiming in.

I'm starting with Kant's Critique of Pure Reason, and as a way to get myself through this, am attempting approximately 15 pages a day during each of the 40 days of Lent, taking Sundays off.  (Yeah, I know it's an odd combination...)  I'll be aiming for a daily response posted here, but it might not happen each time. If this works out, I'm hoping to get to some Wittgenstein, perhaps some more Letour, but baby steps for now.

Let's see how this goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment